A 2012 Art Camp intern works with students. (Watch the video here.)
The Art League is looking for summer interns! The internships at Art Camp, our Development Office, and the Gallery are great ways to get experience with teaching, working with children, fundraising, working with databases, and gallery operations. See below for details on the requirements and perks of each position and how to apply!
The Art League, Inc. a 501(c)(3) charitable and education nonprofit arts organization, is a multifaceted visual arts organization that meets its mission through its gallery, fine art school, art supply store and multiple arts-outreach programs.
Art Camp Interns will assist the Art Camp Director and Art Camp instructors as classroom aides to over 30 teaching artists in an enriching community arts setting, June 17 – August 24. The position is unpaid; however, there is a stipend given at the end of the summer to interns who work 200 or more hours. This is a great position for those looking to gain classroom experience. Candidates should have a strong interest in art and some experience working with children.
Development Interns will work with the Development Team to update our current organization database, combine important statistical information and help to organize our upcoming fundraising events.
Gallery Interns will assist the Gallery Director and Assistant Gallery Director in maintaining day-to-day gallery operations, exhibition installation, file maintenance, sales and special projects as assigned.
- Minimum commitment of 15 to 20 hours per week from May/June through August
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), experience in Apple OS a plus
- Great organizational skills and accuracy
- Undergrad/Graduate students in Development, Arts/Art Management or Arts Education preferred
- Experience in Database, FileMaker Pro a plus
- Working for a community-based organization
- Learning how to fundraise for an arts organization
- College credit for internship programs (arranged through your college)
- Resume-building experience
- Free parking in Old Town Alexandria
- 20% discount in our gallery & supply store
- Free Art League T-shirt
- The fact that 80% of our staff birthdays are in the summer… CAKE!
- *Art Camp Interns have potential to receive stipend at the end of the summer
How to Apply:
Please submit via email cover letter & current resume, including three references. In your cover letter please explain what you will bring to the position, as well as what you hope to gain from this experience. Reviews will take up to 2 weeks. Please do not call.
Art Camp Interns:
Email with subject “TAL Art Camp Internship 2013” to Ali Wunder (email@example.com)
Email with subject “TAL Development Internship 2013” to Whitney Staiger (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Email with subject “TAL Gallery Internship 2013” to Rose O’Donnell (email@example.com)