The Student Show
Among the hundreds of pieces currently hanging in the Gallery for the Student/Faculty Show, you’ll notice 20 have gold stickers and five have stickers and ribbons.
As you might guess, those mark the pieces recognized with awards by this year’s judge: Mira Hecht, a DC-based artist who teaches painting at The Corcoran College of Art and Design. Congratulations to the artists! Here are all the winners:
Constance Pena’s Portrait Study won the John Foreman “Keeping the Life in Life Drawing” Student Award.
Radishes by Kaye Jones was the winner of the Potomac Valley Watercolorist Award.
I’m Torn by Joanne Mazarella won the Jennie Lea Knight Creativity Award.
Box by Irene Gomberg won the Dennis Davis Award for ceramics.
River Farm by Donald Rogich won the Landscape Award.
These are the 20 artists recognized with Equal Merit Awards:
- Marian Bruno, Spark, cricula cocoons & merino wool
- Dennis Crayon, Blue Magdalene, oil
- Barry Dunn, Urban Wall, photography
- Berit Jarama Estabrook, Evening Call, acrylic
- Christian Arthur Fisher, Untitled, acrylic
- Wayne Frost, Confluence, silk screen
- Margaret Gamboa, Pearl Before Swine, sterling silver & pearl
- Diane Kresh, Stories, mixed media
- Monica Kruszka, Dreamscape #1, mixed media
- Meredith Ledford, Untitled, acrylic & charcoal
- Margaret Lindsey, The 5th Avenue Gig, oil
- Deborah Mahnken, Scottish Moors, pastel
- Barry Marlin, Sheba, ceramic
- Molly F. McCracken, Storm, acrylic
- Russell Mikel, Standing Whip, steel
- Jeanette Monachello, Tree of Life, plasma cut sheet
- Samantha Shelton, Fawns Dale, etching
- Steven Spayd, Pulcinella Aeternam, acrylic & mixed media
- Kathy Sullivan, Red-Tailed Hawk, watercolor
- David Wagner, Samson at the Park, pastel
For the complete program, see the exhibit page. To meet many of these artists, come to the closing reception this Sunday, February 28, from 2:00 to 4:00 pm!