With the 2017 Student/Faculty Show concluding its short run on Sunday, it’s time to celebrate the student award winners!
Alexandria-based artist Constance Fleres was this year’s judge. Here are her selections:
BFFs by Patrick Clagett won the Dee Gee Watling Memorial Pastel Award. Clagett took Pastel Painting with Nancy Freeman.
Moments 03 by Stephanie Chang won the John Foreman Award. Chang took The Classical Portrait and Figure with Robert Liberace.
Tomato by Kaye Jones won the Potomac Valley Watercolorists’ Award. Jones took Watercolor: Moving On with Gwen Bragg.
By the Sea by Erin Hensley Howe won the Jennie Lea Knight Creativity Award. Howe took Developing the Narrative with Beverly Ryan.
Flow by James Tomlinson won the Dennis Davis Award for Excellence in Ceramics. Tomlinson took Throwing/Handbuilding Ceramics with Joan Ulrich.
Key Bridge by Milton Shinberg won the Landscape Award. Shinberg took the Watercolor Experience with Peter Ulrich.
In addition, ten artists were selected for Equal Merit Awards:
- Connie Benson for In the Shade (Metal Sculpture with Donna Reinsel)
- Patricia Shumaker Chisholm for Lemon in a Bowl – 4 Studies (Pastel Painting with Lisa Semerad)
- Janice Cronin for Doors (Portrait Painting with Danni Dawson)
- Janice Francois for Little Girl Blue (Abstract Painting with Bryan Jernigan)
- Leslie Hutchinson for Joseph’s Beach Coat (Stained Glass with Jimmy Powers)
- Amy Reed for Corners and Lines (Tiles with Yvette Jacobs)
- Deb Sams for Untitled (Felting: Expanding the Possibilities with Renate Maile-Moskowitz)
- John Thurman for Enchanted Folly (Abstract Painting with Deanna Schwartzberg)
- Ana Tkabladze for Atlantis (Enameling with Abby Goldblatt)
- Jingyuan Zhang for A Working Couple (Trompe L’oeil and Photorealism with Patrick Kirwin)
As we’ve said before, the Student/Faculty Show is the best single place to see the variety of work that takes place in Art League classrooms, and this year’s awards represent that well.
The closing reception will be this Sunday, March 5, from 2:00 to 4:00 pm. This is your chance to meet the artists and your last chance to see the exhibit before it closes! Find more information, and the full program, on the exhibit page.