Register now for Spring classes!
About ceramics classes
The Art League School’s ceramics department provides a welcoming and stimulating atmosphere for students to learn the fundamentals of pottery. Beginners learn how to create basic vessels and forms on a potter’s wheel. More experienced students learn more complicated techniques in working with clay while focusing on design, glaze, and finishing techniques. Classes in tiles and mosaics are also offered. Courses are offered year-round, during the week, weekend, day and evening.
Watch ceramics chair Blair Meerfeld demonstrate throwing a pitcher on the potter’s wheel:
Open studio time is available for enrolled students to practice and expand their skills. For the open studio schedule, please check 305madison.com or 703-683-5358.
Students interested in a complete clay experience can participate in our assistant work-study program and have the opportunity to learn how to mix glazes, recycle clay, and load kilns. Participants in the assistants program are eligible for tuition reduction. Please call the School (703-683-2323) for details.
Ceramics Department Chair
Ceramic Artist Blair Meerfeld joined us in June 2009 as The Art League School’s Ceramics Department Chair. Meerfeld, whose exceptional work has graced the cover of Ceramics Monthly and who has been a featured artist in Clay Times, brings a national reputation to our department. You can view images of his work on his faculty page.
About The Art League School
The Art League School is a non-accredited institution, open to all, that provides instruction to nearly 6,000 students annually. Weekly classes and shorter-term workshops meet at the Torpedo Factory Art Center and at our Madison Annex in Old Town Alexandria, VA, convenient to the entire Washington, DC area. Our expanded Madison Annex opened in Fall 2012.
Courses are offered quarterly in virtually all of the fine arts, and a wide variety of crafts, with some of the most talented and well-known professional artists and instructors in the country. Whether for the beginner or a skilled professional, courses are offered for every skill level and for every age — five and up!
What students said
- “The Art League is one of the most important venues for art instruction in the Washington metropolitan area.” — Stephen G.
- “I'm not an artist, but The Art League has helped me become much more of one!” — Donna F.
- “The Art League is a haven for me. I can step out of my daily chores and into art mode. The teachers are first-rate.” — Chris B.
- “The Intro Drawing course is wonderful. This is my first art class of any type, and it is not intimidating or over my head.” — Justin L.
- “The instructors are capable, patient and talented and have given me the desire and confidence to expand my skills.” — Sally B.
Contact The Art League School