The Art League School's Madison Annex Project
1. What is the Madison Annex Project?
A new and exciting phase in The Art League’s history! The Art League’s Madison Annex Project is the build-out of existing but unused, contiguous space at the Montgomery Center (a.k.a. Madison Annex.) We are relocating the Duke Street Annex classrooms and outreach space to this soon-to-be expanded Madison Annex space.
2. Where is the Madison Annex?
Approximately eight blocks north of the Torpedo Factory Art Center at the corner of Madison and Fairfax Streets. The address is 305 Madison Street.
3. Why are we leaving the Duke Street Annex?
We must! Due to Old Town’s waterfront redevelopment, we are unable to renew our lease at the Duke Street Annex. We are excited to be able to move our Duke Annex facilities to the Madison Annex, and provide a single expanded satellite facility for 2D and 3D classes.
4. Are summer classes still being held at the Duke Street Annex?
Yes! All classes, workshops, and outreach, programming services will continue as normal throughout the summer months.
5. Are summer classes still being held at the Madison Annex during construction?
Yes! All classes, summer camp classes, workshops, and outreach services will continue as normal during the Madison build-out.
6. Will our new classrooms be smaller at Madison than those at Duke Street?
No. Each classroom being replaced will have the same square footage as the classrooms we now enjoy at Duke Street.
7. Will there be more or fewer classrooms at Madison to make room for what was at the Duke Street Annex?
Neither! We will have the same total number of classrooms. We are simply “moving” the three (3) classrooms and one (1) outreach space to an enlarged Madison location.
8. Will there be parking available?
Yes! We have negotiated paid parking opportunities on weekdays for our students at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town, located on Fairfax Street within one block of our Annex’s Fairfax Street entrance. (Students will be charged a similar reasonable fee to what they currently enjoy at Duke Street). Evening and weekend free parking will be available within the block, at the lot immediately behind the health club.
9. Will there be access to public transportation?
Yes! There is a Metrobus stop immediately across the street from our Annex’s Madison Street entrance.
10. Are there places to eat close by?
Yes! Montgomery Center (the official name of the building that includes the Madison Annex) has a coffee shop, sandwich shops, two restaurants (one Thai and one Italian) and additional dining options within two blocks.
11. Are the School Offices and Gallery moving too?
No. The classrooms, administrative offices, and The Art League Gallery located in the Torpedo Factory Art Center will NOT be moving.
12. Is the Store moving to the Madison Annex?
No…and yes! The Art League store will not be moving; it will remain in the Torpedo Factory. Period. However, The Art League’s Phase Two plan for the Madison Annex includes a space to accommodate an ADDITIONAL/ SATELLITE art supply storefront — once additional funding becomes available for this second phase.
13. Why does The Art League need donated dollars for this project? Doesn’t tuition income help cover projects like this?
No. The Art League is a mission-based 501c(3) nonprofit organization. In service to our mission, we keep our tuition as low as possible to ensure that everyone can enjoy access to art education. We strive to offer classes, workshops, art camp, scholarship, and outreach services to the broadest range of artists by keeping tuition affordable.
14. Can I help?
Yes! Please help us reach our project goal of $210,000 for the build-out by donating to the "Be a 30-Something Campaign" through The Art League website.
Other ways to give:
1. Visit (105 N Union St., Room 219) or call The Art League offices (703-549-5450) directly.
2. Mail us a donation: The Art League, 105 N. Union St., Alexandria, VA 22314.
3. Make a pledge!
And of course…
4. Donate your time by volunteering! We will need help with our campaign and with the move from the Duke Annex to Madison!
If you have any further questions, please contact us at 703-549-5450.