The Art League Store is unique. Our non-profit, service based supply store is one of the few physical shops in the Washington, DC area where you can walk in and buy artists’ materials. Our store is special because our store employees are knowledgeable, working artists who are ready and willing to guide you through your purchases. As a service to our students, members, and supporters, supplies and materials requested by Art League instructors are sold here. The store is tucked away in the corner of the second floor of the Torpedo Factory Art Center, Room 217. Visit the store in person and on our website to check our store hours and read more about our services.
Supplies for Art League Classes
The cost of classes does not include supplies unless specifically noted in the class or workshop description. You may obtain supply lists from the instructor the first class. Or, as a special service to Art League students, most teachers have copies of their supply lists on file in The Art League Store. We recommend that you shop early to avoid the rush. Most classes begin work the first day. Bring any supplies you have to your first class.
Due to limited staff, and large enrollment, we are unable to mail, email, fax, or read supply lists over the phone.
As a non-profit organization, The Art League sells supplies at a discounted rate to League members and students. The Supply Store makes every effort to stock items requested by The Art League teachers, as well as other popular materials for the fine artist. Please understand that the store operates primarily as a mission-based service to our teachers, students, and members--rather than simply a retail component of the League.
The Art League Store is located in room 217 in the Torpedo Factory Art Center, around the corner from the school office. Phone: 703-548-8127.
The Art League Store is open from 9:15 am – 4:00 pm, Monday through Saturday during each nine week term, and from 10:00 am – 4:00 pm outside of term. The store also offers evening hours throughout the nine week term on Tuesday and Wednesday from 6:30 – 7:30 pm. The first two weeks of each term only, extended evening and weekend hours are 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm, Monday through Thursday, and 10:00 am – 4:00 pm, Sunday. Please note that the store may close for lunch, if there is only one staff person on duty.
The Art League Store offers shrink-wrapping services to Art League students and members. If you have any questions regarding shrink wrap that are not addressed below, feel free to call the store at 703-548-8127.
Pricing and Schedule for Shrink Wrap:
Prices per dimension:
14” x 14” = $2.45
14” x 28” = $3.25
28” x 28” = $4.85
28” x 48” = $7.50
34” x 48” = $13.00
1. All items intended for shrink wrap must be mounted with suitable backing board* and be ready for wrapping at the time they are presented to the store personnel.
2. All items for shrink wrap must be in the store no later than the close of business day on Thursday (4:00 pm). This dropped-off artwork will be shrink wrapped and ready for pick-up on Saturday morning.
3. Those items destined for the BINS in the Gallery must be accompanied by the proper stickers and identified as items to be delivered to the Gallery. Please remember to follow Gallery guidelines for professional presentation of all work.
4. All items presented for shrink wrap must be paid for at the time of delivery. There are no discounts given for this service.
* The backing must be rigid enough to hold the plastic film after it is shrunk; otherwise the artwork and its mat may bow. Foam core is good. Corrugated cardboard can bend with the corrugation. Backing should be at least the size of the mat. If the plastic film is pulling on the mat rather than the backing, the mat may bow forward and cause creases at the corners of the mat window.
Attention Pastel/Charcoal Artists:
Artwork created with pastel and/or charcoal should not be shrink wrapped unless a fixative has been applied to it. The plastic film will create static that can pull the particles of pastel or charcoal off the artwork surface. Since we are unable to tell if artwork has been treated with fixative, The Art League cannot be held responsible for any damage to pastels or charcoals caused by shrink wrapping. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
Stained Glass Store
Thanks to an extraordinary donation, The Art League Store is now selling stained glass supplies at our Madison Annex (305 Madison Street in Alexandria). For more information, click here.