Join us for “Paint” Alexandria 2009, our annual two-day, all-media plein air event. For $40, artists of all media and skill level may join us as we visually explore and interpret historic Old Town. Registered artists may participate in as many sessions as they like. “Paint” Alexandria 2009 will be held May 16 & 17.
This year “Paint” Alexandria is expanding across the river to include a special sunset session with nationally known plein air painter and Art League instructor Sara Poly. Transportation will be provided to all participants on the National Harbor Water taxi, courtesy of the Alexandria-National Harbor Water Taxi/Potomac Riverboat Company.
Workshop locations TBA. Participants are responsible for providing their own supplies, and they ma work alongside the instructors, set up on their own, or simply enjoy the lectures and demonstrations. An event map will be provided to all participants.
Clickhere to read the article on “Paint” Alexandria in American Artist magazine from April 2008.
Saturday, May 16
- Frank Fierstein: explore Old Town on foot with this abstract photographer and let him show you his unique visual perspective.
- Steve Fleming: demonstrating and composing a loose watercolor.
- Peter Ulrich: composing a loose watercolor.
- Rob Liberace: demo in oil at the Carlyle House Gardens.
- Daniel Wise: paint along the waterfront as Wise leads you through his process that includes thumbnail sketches, value based underpainting, and soft pastel application techniques.
- Fred Markham: landscape painting in oil.
- Sara Poly: capturing the sunset at National Harbor in oil.
Saturday, May 17
- Jim Steele: photographic walking tour of Old Town.
- Avis Fleming: sketchbook drawing in pen, pencil, or watercolor.
- Marsha Staiger: use your senses to expand upon the landscape through color concentration, simplification of form, and strength of composition using acrylic and mixed media.
- Bobbi Pratte: getting a good start in oil or acrylic.