Art collectors at the 2013 Patrons’ Show.
A visitor to The Art League Gallery once said something we knew we had to write down: “When I walk in the gallery I feel like I’m a millionaire — like any of these wonderful paintings could be mine.”
And it’s true. All the artwork in the Gallery is for sale, and it’s all priced so that first-time collectors and repeat buyers can find something they love and can afford to take home. The Art League’s mission is all about enriching the community, so we want to encourage first-time art buyers with some tips on the why and how of collecting:
- Art enriches your life. Well, you already knew this, or you wouldn’t be here.
- Buy local. Buying at a locally-focused gallery like The Art League’s means you can support emerging artists, keeping Alexandria and the DC area arts-friendly. Our artists come from throughout the mid-Atlantic, and highly qualified jurors select the work for each month’s show.
- We’re friendly. Because the Gallery staff knows our members, they can help you find the artists and artwork you’ll like. And our monthly opening receptions are always free and open to the public, so you can come meet our artists. (Plus we have candy.)
- It’s affordable. Our monthly juried shows (and special exhibits like Patrons’ Show and Art in City Hall) give you the chance to catch artists at the beginning of their careers. The smaller, more affordable pieces in the Bin Gallery are a great way to start a collection, too.
- It’s original. Original artwork sparks conversations and brightens a space in a way that a reproduction simply can’t. “Original art remains the holy grail,” The Wall Street Journal wrote last month in an article on emerging artists.
There are six more great reasons in this blog post.