Click here for information on Artfête 2014, happening December 5–7, 2014.
This weekend, The Art League School opens up its doors for the annual Artfête Open House, Holiday Party, Ceramics Sale, and Jewelry Sale. There’s a lot going on — including a fashion show and a steamroller printing — so to make sure you don’t miss anything, here’s the definitive guide to everything that’s happening!
- Friday, 6:00–9:00 pm: Artfête Open House & Holiday Party
- Friday–Sunday: Holiday Ceramics Sale
- Friday–Saturday: Jewelry Sale
Click here to add all of the Artfête events to your calendar.
All Artfête Weekend events take place at the Madison Annex, 305 Madison Street in Alexandria. (View on Google Maps.) This is our main classroom facility and home to sculpture, painting, photography, stained glass, mosaic, ceramic, drawing, jewelry, fiber arts, and printmaking classes!
Where should I park? Street parking is available around the Madison Annex without restrictions after 6:00 pm and on weekends. Friday after 6:30 pm and all weekend, the general public may park for free in the parking lot behind Sport & Health (entrance is on Montgomery St. just east of the intersection with North Fairfax St.)
Artfête Open House
This is the kickoff event for the whole weekend and your chance to see what goes on in Art League classrooms. Doors open at 6:00 pm and the party continues until 9:00. Orquesta Tropikiimba will be performing live music, and admission is free!
- 6:00 & 8:00 pm: Steamroller printing
- 7:00 pm: Fashion show
- All night: Live music, refreshments, exhibits, instructor demos (see below for a list), Holiday Ceramics Sale and Jewelry Sale (starting at noon and open during the party), wearable fiber art for sale
If you missed this unique printmaking demonstration last year, this is your second chance! Artist Steve Prince and a group of community artist volunteers created woodcuts which will be inked and then printed live using a steamroller. (There’s a peek at the 2012 print on YouTube.)
When & where: 6:00 & 8:00 pm at the Madison St. entrance.
Our fiber arts and jewelry classes will be showing off what they made this year in an Art League fashion show. See our students and their wearable art on the runway!
When & where: 7:00 pm in the SOHO room (the room toward the back of the building with the long ramp).
If you’re wondering what class to take, or you’re just curious what our students are up to, a number of Art League instructors have prepared presentations, demonstrations, and hands-on activities. Stop by and say hello!
When & where: 6:00–9:00 in the rooms below (individual instructors’ schedules will vary).
- Stained glass: Jimmy Powers, room 2 (next to the sculpture studio)
- Mosaics: Gene Sterud, room 5 (by the front entrance)
- Calligraphy: Hermineh Miller, room 5
- Printmaking: Silk Screen with Nancy McIntyre, room 5
- Sculpture: Facial Reconstruction with Joe Mullins; Kinetic, Sonic, & Light Sculptures with John Kauffman (both room 5)
- Ceramics: Blair Meerfeld, room 10
- Fiber arts: Rugmaking with Michael Heilman, Silk Painting with Denise Vauthier, Surface Design with Candi Edgerly, Spinning, and Weaving (rooms 9 & 10)
- Jewelry: Nick Barnes and Gretchen Raber, room 7
Holiday Ceramics Sale
Handmade bowls, tiles, cups, teapots, and more — this is your weekend to find a truly one-of-a-kind gift, or a piece for yourself! This annual sale features affordable ceramic vessels and sculptures created by students and ceramics associates of The Art League School. You can find the sale in our ceramics studio — from the entrance at 305 Madison Street, go down the hallway to your left and take the first door on the left.
Ceramics sale hours: Friday, 12:00 noon–9:00 pm; Saturday, 10:00 am–6:00 pm; Sunday, 12:00 noon–5:00pm
This annual sale of handmade jewelry by Art League students and teachers showcases a variety of metal work based on the techniques taught in Art League classes. Earrings, necklaces, bracelets, brooches, and more are available for all tastes and budgets. You can find the jewelry sale in the main hallway of the Madison Annex, at the end of the hall on your left coming from the 808 N. Fairfax St. entrance, or on your right coming from the sculpture room. Please note that the Jewelry sale is Friday and Saturday only.
Jewelry sale hours: Friday, 12:00 noon–9:00 pm; Saturday, 10:00 am–5:00 pm