A lot happens at our Madison Annex classrooms.
This weekend, even more is happening, as we invite everyone — that means you! — to come celebrate the holiday season, shop for handmade gifts, and see what The Art League School is all about. There are three main events:
- Friday, 6:00–9:00 pm: Artfête Open House & Holiday Party
- Friday–Sunday: Holiday Ceramics Sale
- Friday–Saturday: Holiday Jewelry Sale
See below for details!
All Artfête Weekend events take place at the Madison Annex, 305 Madison Street in Alexandria. (View on Google Maps.) This is our main classroom facility and home to sculpture, painting, photography, stained glass, mosaic, ceramic, drawing, jewelry, fiber arts, and printmaking classes!
Artfête Open House & Holiday Party
Admission is free of charge to our annual bash! It takes place Friday, December 4. Here’s the schedule of events:
- 6:00–9:00 pm: Artist demos, exhibits, refreshments, photo booth, and shopping at the Ceramics and Jewelry Sales
- 6:30–7:10: Music by Go Cozy (Room 1)
- 7:30: Wearable art fashion show (SOHO Hall)
- 7:30–8:30: Music by The Sea Life (Room 1)
- 8:00: Raku ceramics firing finale (Outside 305 Madison St. entrance)
If you haven’t heard of Raku firing before, it’s an exciting and unpredictable way to create pottery, and it looks especially neat at nighttime.
Here’s a room-by-room breakdown of events. See the top of this post for a map.
- 1: The Sea Life & Go Cozy perform
- 2: Stained glass demo with Stephen Sherwin
- 3 & 4: Holiday Ceramics Sale
- 5: Facial Reconstruction with Joe Mullins, Mosaics with Anita Damron, Silk Screen with Nancy McIntyre, Silk Painting with Clara Graves
- 6: Holiday Jewelry Sale & Art League Merchandise
- 7: Jewelry faculty meet-and-greet
- 8: Art League School Faculty Exhibit, Calligraphy with Hermineh Miller, Rugmaking with Michael Heilman
- 9: Weaving demonstrations with Linda Hurt, Marilyn Harrington, and Raquel Rosa
- 10: Potter’s wheel with Blair Meerfeld, Surface Design with Julie Booth and Candace Edgerley
- 14: Wine, photo booth, food donated by Chadwicks, & donations (double impact with matching donations provided by MRE/Montgomery Center)
- SOHO Hall: Water, snacks & 7:30 fashion show
Holiday Ceramics Sale
Hours: Friday, 12:00 noon–9:00 pm; Saturday, 10:00 am–6:00 pm; Sunday, 12:00 noon–5:00 pm
Stop by rooms 3 and 4 in the front of the building to shop handmade tableware, vessels, and sculptures by our ceramics artists. Over 30 artists are represented here. Find something you love!
Holiday Jewelry Sale
Hours: Friday, 12:00 noon–9:00 pm; Saturday, 10:00 am–5:00 pm
Handmade jewelry created by Art League students and teachers, showcasing a variety of metal work based on the techniques taught in Art League classes. Pieces fit all tastes and budgets.