Original painting by Art League instructor Deborah Ellis
What a year for The Art League! We had a packed 2016, full of artist talks, parties, exhibits, and of course classes and workshops.
A look back
- In January, we found out what was beneath our old Duke Street classrooms, and later that month, the gallery exhibited photographic Hairtraits by Space of Her Own
- In February, the Art Thief app debuted at its first-ever Patrons’ Show Fundraiser, and we had another awesome Student Show
- March saw the return of the biennial Ikebana show; Fritz DesRoches and his airbrush also came to the gallery, and five Art Leaguers also became new Torpedo Factory artists
- In April, we livestreamed for the first time so you could watch Teresa Oaxaca’s demo, and we welcomed a great crowd for the latest Art on the Rocks
- The Highest Honor banner project got underway in May, when solo artist Nancy McIntyre helped us peel back the layers of a silkscreen print
- In June, we opened up the Tabletop exhibit to furniture, glass, and fiber art for the first time and marked the start of summer by returning to the classroom (and camp)
- July’s exhibit was our first-ever installation show, and we also shared some suggested summer reading and listening
- August marked the debut of our new class catalog for 2016–17 and the introduction of new instructors for the upcoming school year
- In September, you bowled us over and Michael Fischerkeller spray-painted his way into the gallery
- In October, we received a special honor: you voted us the best place to take classes in the DC area! And, eleven artists were selected for 2018 solo exhibits
- We marked Veterans Day in November with the reveal of the Highest Honor banner and an exhibit of IMPart ceramics and blades
- Finally, in December, artist Dennis Crayon tricked your eyes with his trompe l’oeil paintings
Thank you for being part of our artful year! We hope you’ll be a part of our 2017, too.
Happy new year from The Art League!