Happy second day of Spring, Art Leaguers! We have a full schedule of events, parties, openings, free programming and chances to dive deeper in your creative pursuits on the agenda for this Spring. From those of you that enjoy a nice glass of wine, to those that would rather curl up with a good book, and for those of you that are corralling little ones around we have something for everyone. Scroll down below to find your perfect Spring creativity glow-up!
Art on the Vine
Friday, March 22, 7-10 pm: Part global wine tour, part fine art tour, this special celebration of visual and vineyard artistry is of rare vintage! Tickets include admission, a wine glass, ten tastings + one full pour, a light buffet, and a one-night-only 10% discount on all gallery artwork on the walls, PLUS 20% discount of artwork from The Art League’s permanent collection! Participants may also purchase bottles of the hard-to-find artisan wines on offer, sourced by our event sommelier, Tony Acampora. Bottles start at $12, none of our bottles exceed $60!
Chef Sean from Chadwick’s will be serving our 2018 Art on the Rocks Award Winning Pimento Pig + Pickle sliders on buttermilk biscuits (some without ham for vegetarians), key lime bites, pickled shrimp, mustard crusted catfish bites, pickled shiitake skewers with miso butter, roast beef + pickled onion bruschetta, and dark chocolate truffles to round out your wine and art evening! Cheers! $55.
Art History Book Club
Spring Classes and Workshops Begin
Soho Photography Special Exhibit
April Mixed Media Member Exhibit
April 9 – May 5. Juried by Lavar Munroe. April’s exhibit will consist of Mixed Media work, referring to artworks composed from a combination of different media or materials. This exhibit will run concurrently with SOHO’s Photography Exhibit, and Megan Partridge’s “Bugs” solo exhibit. FREE!
Megan Partridge “Bugs. Or Kafka on Prozac.” Solo Show
April 10 – May 5. From beetles to bees, painter Megan Partridge investigates her inner psyche with ephemeral, colorful, entomological self portraits. Through wry humor and expressive brushwork, Partridge takes a closer look at the creatures that are often overlooked in “Bugs. Or Kafka on Prozac.” FREE!
April Opening Reception
Art on the Rocks Mini Exhibit Submission Deadline
Creative Practice Book Club
Art League Movie Night
Thursday, April 25, 6:30 pm. Save the date for our second Art League Movie Night! Join us for a night of animated short films. Light refreshments on hand to fuel visiting cinephiles. FREE!
- Jumpstart in Hand Stitching taught by Julie Booth: Join Julie for three consecutive Wednesday nights for making art with needle and thread. $140.
- Expressing the Story taught by Kirstin Stingle: This hands-on workshop, Kirsten will lead students in building a small torso and exploring the figure as a vehicle for storytelling. Each student will build an approximately 12″ tall torso. Anatomy and proportion will be reviewed as well as the importance of using gesture, expression and found objects as narrative tools. Individual attention and problem solving will be emphasized. $200
- Raku Firing taught by David Flohr: Experience the Raku firing process (Raku firing is an incredible ancient Japanese ceramics technique) and learn about its vibrant possibilities in this one day workshop. $95
- Upcycling Techniques in Felt taught by Renate Maile-Moscowitz: Want to be more green this Spring? Even the smallest scraps left over from previous projects of felted fiver scraps, yarns, and fabric remnants can successfully be made into new projects using an array of felting techniques. Students create a sampler of techniques that may become your next interchangeable bag flap, pocket or mats. $120.
- Weekend in the Plein Air Landscape taught by Mike Francis: This workshop, spread over two afternoon painting sessions, meets along the Potomac in Alexandria. Artists of all media are welcome for plein air demos, critiques, and discussing plein air materials and techniques. $100.
- Felted Flowers taught by Renate Maile-Moscowitz: Flowers for Spring? Groundbreaking! Students create a lovely bouquet of felted flowers while learning the basics of wet and needle felting. $90.